I make the TOP-list of iOS and Android Augmented Reality SDK intended to shape your AR development (Free and Paid).
I make the TOP-list of iOS and Android Augmented Reality SDK intended to shape your AR development.
In 2022, revenue from AR mobile applications amounted to 15 497 million U.S. dollars worldwide.statista.com
First, looking Wiki-Article: Augmented reality – Wikipedia
With the help of advanced AR technology (e.g. adding computer vision and object recognition) the information about the…en.wikipedia.org
SDK (software development kit or devkit) is typically a set of software development tools that allows the creation of applications for a certain software package, software framework, hardware platform, computer system, video game console, operating system, or similar development platform.
This AR SDK for iOS and Android that you can start using right NOW!
|Free SDK||Paid SDK|
Free Augmented reality SDK:
Flutter – beautiful native apps in record time
Flutter is new Google’s mobile UI framework for crafting high-quality native experiences on iOS and Android in record time. Flutter works with existing code, is used by developers and organizations around the world, and is free and open source.
Who’s using Flutter?
Available on: Android, iOS & Mac, Windows, Linux
ARToolKit is an open-source computer tracking library for creation of strong augmented reality applications that overlay virtual imagery on the real world.
License: GNU Lesser General Public License
Original author(s): Hirokazu Kato
ARKit by Apple
Introducing Augmented Reality development for iOS, one of the biggest mobile platforms of today. ARKit is an SDK for software developers to create augmented reality apps and games for iPhones and iPads.
Supported platforms: iOS 11.0+
Available on: Android, iOS & Mac, Windows
Apps powered by EasyAR SDK 3.0
Available on: Android, iOS.
NyARToolkit for Processing is provided by LGPLv3.
NyARToolkit project is developing a vision-based AR library that based on ARToolKit. Current NyARToolkit libraries have ARToolKit Professional (ARToolKit5) APIs.
Available on: Android, iOS & Unity
According to reviews and comparisons of efficiency, Kudan is the main rival of Vuforia and make augmented reality development very easy.
Available on: Android, iOS & Windows, Mac
MAXST AR SDK Is the Easiest Way to Develop an AR App. Learn More. AR MANUAL. The AR Manual Is a New-concept User’s Manual at Your Fingertips.
Paid augmented reality SDK
Available on: Android, iOS & Unity, Smart glasses Wikitude – Get Started With The World’s Leading Cross-Platform AR SDK
An Augmented Reality engine that empowers your iOS, Android & Smart Glasses apps with Image & Object Tracking, Instant…www.wikitude.com
Wikitude is a mobile augmented reality technology provider based in Salzburg, Austria. An Augmented Reality engine that empowers your iOS, Android & Smart Glasses apps with Image & Object Tracking, Instant tracking (SLAM), Geo AR.
Founded in 2008.
Developer(s): Wikitude GmbH
|2D Im.Recognition||2D Im.Recognition||2D Im.Recognition||2D Im.Recognition||2D Im.Recognition|
|3D Image Recognition||–||3D||3D||3D|
|–||–||–||Cloud Recognition||Cloud Recognition|
|Free||€1990 per app||€2490 per app||€499 per app||Call|
Available on: Android, iOS & Unity, Windows
Supported platforms: Android, iOS, UWP and Unity Editor.
Vuforia is the leading AR platform. Paid from $99/mo
Read also: Vuforia Developer library — wiki.
Available on: Android, iOS & Windows, WebGL
XZIMG Face Tracking engine is a product developed by XZIMG Research that addresses the Augmented Reality market.
Available on: Android, iOS & Unity
Zappar: Augmented, Virtual & Mixed Reality Solutions
Augmented Reality adds a new feature to this evolutionary appendage totally reimagining the role of the camera on your phone when used in an app as a new remote control for the world connecting you (and your audience if you’re a business owner) to the things and places around you.
For iOS or Android or an embed component in your existing app or indeed a new standalone app
There are lots of solutions allowing you to start developing your Augmented Reality App right away.
Note: Description for SDK has been copied from their respective official website.
Anyone, who has ever been engaged in creating apps for different gadgets and platforms, knows how hard such task is. Until recently, there was no universal approach to the development of mobile applications. But after HTML5 platform evolved, coders got a much wider range of opportunities.
Speaking of tools, which one’s better? Let’s take a look at two major tools – Ionic and PhoneGap – andcomparetheir pros and cons todecide what framework will suit your needs best.
Ionic and PhoneGap: which one’s better
We’ll create Ionic vs. PhoneGap comparison list based on popularity, main advantages and disadvantages, and ease of use.
Ionic is an open-source SDK for cross-platform app development that runs on top of Angular JS. Working with Ionic, developers get access to HTML5,CSS, and SaaS for creating hybrid applications.
If you compare PhoneGap and Ionic, the popularity of the first platform is growing a bit faster. For instance, in 2012, it only accounted for about 30% primary use.Now it’s 61%. The main factors that determine the platform’s popularity arefast development,cross-platform support, and liberal prices.
Ionic owes its popularity mostly to its simplicity. Being a free, open source platform, it has also gained appreciation from both entrepreneurs and coders due to its functionality. The platform’s community is growing steadily, and according to the results of the Ionic Developer Survey, around 80% of developers working with the framework consider themselves experienced Ionic users.
Reasons to use
PhoneGap versus Ionic: why you should try them both.
– Is totally free and open source. To begin working with Ionic, all you need is a PC and internet connection.
– Is Angular-based. You can say that Ionic extends Angular’sfunctionality, making the process of developing apps easy and comfortable.
– Offers other convenient services and tools. Ionic has dozens ofdifferent services and tools that ensure pleasant and user-friendly experience.
– Is open source. That’s the main difference between PhoneGap and Ionic. This framework offers much of its functionality for free. Besides, thanks to Open Source License, PhoneGap’s community provides programmers with new modules and codes for free.
– Is easy to master. The framework doesn’t require knowledge of newlanguages to work with, as it uses standard HTML, CSS, and JS.
– Is suitable for multiple devices. The platform utilizes the standard technologies compatible with a wide range of devices. This makes the development process faster.
– a completely free platform;
– Single source for all supported platforms;
– Most of the development is based on CSS,HTML, and JS most developers are familiar with;
– Access to the number of useful plugins;
– Variety of UI patterns, including header,tabs, lists,cards, and bars;
– Use of CSS provides an interesting experience.
– PhoneGap-based apps can be installed just like native apps;
– A plug-in architecture thatallows for extending native device API’s in modular ways;
– Most of its functionality is free;
– A variety of libraries that help enhance the platform’s functionality.
PhoneGap vs. Ionic framework: main advantages.
– As Angular.JS isn’t easy to master, the platform doesn’t for beginners;
– Unstable user experience, asthe platform is relatively new. Standards are still changing, with libraries being totally rewritten from time to time;
– Security issues. When developing financial apps, Ionic isn’t the best choice.
– Doesn’t suit for creating high-end apps and graphic games.
– The abundance of graphic elements causes performance issues;
– Not enough info or user guidelines for enhancing the performance and quality;
– No steady support of native APIs;
– With no proper control over hardware, render updates make PhoneGap-based apps slower;
– No cache/memory management that may lead to memory leakage.
Ease of use
Standard tools with a single code base allow for rapid app development using Ionic, although TypeScript components make tasks a bit slower compared to using native API. Besides, when it comes to creating high-end apps and graphic games, Ionic isn’t easy to use. But the framework’s structure allows for overcoming performance issues.
PhoneGapoffersgreat coding UIwhich makes navigation easier and allows for soothing graphics effects and seamless scrolling. Also, the framework’s apps are fairly easy to install.
As for PhoneGap vs. Ionic performance, both frameworks work with hybrid apps and are powered by Cordova, so there are no major differences between them.
When to use
This platform suits best for individual developers, who prefer working with free, open source products but are experienced enough and know the way around Angular.JS.
Ionic vs. PhoneGap: what to choose?
So, PhoneGap vs. Ionic: which is better? Let’s consider major differences and perks both platforms offer to developers.
|– Easy to work with but requires a license to use all the features;|
– Plug-in architecture allows for extending native device API’s in modular ways, but the development process takes more time;- Availability of libraries but no control over hardware.
|– Is completely free but hard to master;|
– Doesn’t suit for creating financial apps but allows for faster development;
– Customizable UI but unstable user experience.
Both platforms don’t suit for native apps and graphic games development. However, they show almost equal performance when creating cross-platform apps.
The choice of the proper framework for cross-platform app development completely depends on the developer. Just pick the one that suits you best. Both Ionic and PhoneGap have their own advantages and disadvantages, as well as a unique set of features. PhoneGap is perfect for creatinglight apps that don’t rely on the device’s native features.Ionic allows for the rapid and application development at zero costs. The major difference between Ionic and PhoneGap is pricing.