Types of NYC DOT Permits

DOT permits are issued by the NYC Department of Transportation to allow contractors to perform and work on NYC’s sidewalks and roads while utilizing construction equipment. DOT Permits are commonly used to enable the use of specific tools, occupation of roadways and sidewalks, closing of roadways for repairs, and many more operations. They are divided into two groups: building operations and street opening.
Building operation permits allow during varying types of construction.

Street openingBuilding OperationsSidewalk Construction
100 – Open sidewalk to install foundation
106 – Transformer vault – in roadway
107 – Transformer vault – in sidewalk area
110 – Major installations – cable
112 – Rapid transit construct/ alteration
116 – Fuel oil line
117 – Vault construction or alteration
118 – Reset, repair or replace curb
119 – Pave street-w/ engineering & insp fee
120 – Tree pits
121 – Construct or alter manhole &/or casting
124 – Repair electric/communications
125 – Leader drain under sidewalk
126 – Test pits, cores or boring
127 – Conduit construction and franchise129 – Install street furniture
130 – Land fill131 – Private sewer
132 – Install fence133 – Install traffic signals134 – Repair petroleum leak
138 – Installation of fire alarm box
139 – Installation of bus shelter
151 – Installation public pay telephone
153 – Install test pit/monitor well/pipe
154 – Install traffic street lights
155 – Regrade/replace street hardware/casting
156 – Repair traffic street light
157 – Repair traffic signals
165 – Install newsstand
166 – Pavement cores
167 – Restoration re-dig
168 – Core re-dig
172 – Micro trenching
173 – Regrade hardware
180 – Tree pit/storm water inlet
181 – Installation of poles
182 – Removal of poles
183 – Relocation of poles
201 – Place material on street
202 – Crossing sidewalk
203 – Place crane or shovel on street
204 – Place equipment other than crane or shovel
205 – Place shanty or trailer on street
208 – Temporary pedestrian walkway
210 – Install temporary decorative light on street
211 – Occupancy of roadway as stipulated
214 – Place container on the street
215 – Occupancy of sidewalk as stipulated
218 – Install bike rack on sidewalk
219 – Place temporary security structure
221 – Temporary construction signs/markings
401 – Repair sidewalk
402 – Construct new sidewalk
403 – Replace sidewalk
404 – Construct new sidewalk with heating pipe
405 – Construct new sidewalk builder’s pavement plan

What DOT Permits do I need?

DOT permits are primarily different than DOB permits because they are issued per street, as opposed to DOB’s style of per address permits. This means that work taking place at 123 Fake St, will require DOT permits for each street work will take place on. Essentially that requires 4 permits of each type! An example would be replacing the sidewalk, so occupation of the sidewalk is required, as well as repair sidewalk. These two permits would be required for each street the sidewalk is being replaced on.

Get DOT Permits Now!

Companies that are registered with the NYC Department of Transportation can file for permits. General contractors and other contractors cannot apply for permits until they are registered with the DOT. DOT permits before, you will need to register. This can take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months. The NYC DOT has the most stringent insurance standards in the city, exact wording, specific types, letters are all required before the contractor even registers with the DOT.

What is DOT Revocable Consent?

“DOT grants permission to applicants to occupy or use space on, over or under the City streets and sidewalks, charging fees for these uses.”

New Yorkers utilize every square inch of real estate possible. It would make sense to use the sidewalks in front of their building as well. This can become complicated as the Department of Transportation (DOT) has jurisdiction over that area. Revocable Consent is required when someone wants to build something on public streets or sidewalks, they need to acquire a Revocable Consent from the NYC DOT.

Simple put, Revocable Consent is used for the owner to occupy space on city sidewalks or roads. One instance this may be required is when there is work being done on certain stoops in Brooklyn or the addition of a snowmelt system in Manhattan.

  • Revocable consents are revocable
    The name says it all, but it means the DOT has the right to revoke that consent at any time, for any reason, at the owner’s expense,
  • Revocable consents are granted in periods of 10 years
    This means they must be renewed at the end of the term in order to avoid penalty.
  • Aside from initial filing fees, expediting fees, and architect/engineer services, revocable consents typically have a yearly fee
    These depending largely upon what the revocable consent is being issued for, where it is, and for what purpose. These fees vary drastically and are difficult to estimate.
  • Revocable Consents may require approvals from other NYC agencies
    One of the more common approvals required is LPC (Landmark) approval for consents in historical districts. Additional approvals from any combination of the DOB, LPC, PDC, etc. may be required.

Do I need a DOT Revocable Consent?

Although Revocable Consent is required when building something on or under city-owned streets and sidewalks, it must meet certain criteria. For example: sidewalk cafes are handled by the Department of Consumer Affairs. Aside from desired these items to be placed on the sidewalk, reasons are required for doing so. Fees may also be assessed after initial meetings.

Here is a partial list of many of the items requiring revocable consent:

  • benches
  • bridges
  • clocks
  • conduits
  • hatches
  • electrical sockets
  • fenced or walled-in area not used for planting or parking; including a fenced or walled-in area containing a drainage basin
  • flagpoles
  • guard booths
  • guard rails
  • information signs or kiosks
  • stoops and any other improvements adjacent to a building which is located in a historic district or which is an individual landmark where construction of such stoop or other improvement has been approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission
  • overhead building projections in excess of that allowed by the Building Code
  • cables (other than underground cable, wire or optical fiber and associated electronics under the jurisdiction of the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunication)
  • parking lots for private use
  • pipes
  • planted areas, including any surrounding fence or wall
  • posts, poles or bollards not otherwise governed by permit procedures contained in Title 19 of the Administrative Code
  • railroad tracks for private use
  • ramps intended to provide access to people with disabilities
  • retaining walls
  • sidewalk plaques or logos
  • signs or plaques on City-owned street lamps or other City-owned structures
  • stoops, steps, ramps, vestibules or other entrance details extending beyond limits set in Articles 8 and 9 of Title 27 of the Administrative Code
  • street lamp or fixture
  • tunnels
  • vaults or underground improvements not otherwise governed by license procedures contained in Section 19-117 of Title 19 of the Administrative Code
  • public service corporation facilities ancillary to, but not within, a franchise granted prior to July 1, 1990
  • enclosures for trash receptacle adjoining a building, for private use
  • litter receptacles for public use affixed to the sidewalk

Obtaining Revocable Consent

Revocable consents require meetings to discuss the extent of the consent, phasing and propose yearly fees. There are several forms of documentation necessary before obtaining revocable consent. The application that must be submitted is sometimes referred to as a petition. This form asks basic information such as the adjacent property, its owner or lessee, and the proposed structure.

It’s important to note that your petition must also be accompanied by a plan drawn by a professional engineer or registered New York architect. The filing fees for the petition range from $100 to $750 depending on the necessary requirements. The entire filing, review and approval process may take from 3-6 months.

Revocable Consents can be Difficult, we make it Easy