What is Getcontact?
Getcontact is a popular app that allows users to identify unknown numbers. The app, which has been downloaded over 50 million times, collects personal contact information from the user’s phone book as well as from other users who have the app.
However, some users have expressed concerns about their privacy and the app’s data collection practices. Some users also find the app’s features to be intrusive and unwanted.
In this post, I try to explain how to delete your personal data from the GetContact database. Why? I’m concerned about the information about me on the internet. Unfortunately, sometimes there are people who, intentionally or accidentally, can damage my reputation with their actions. I want to have some methods to influence this!
How to Delete Your Number from GetContact?
As noted by the developers themselves, deleting a profile in GetContact does not remove the number from the database application. However, to protect yourself, it is recommended to deactivate the account. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the app and go to the “Other” menu;
- Select “Settings” and then “Account Setup”;
- Go to “Account Management”, click “Lock Account” and confirm the action.
It is noteworthy that your data will not be visible in the application until you log in to GetContact again.
To completely remove your data from the app you should do the following:
- Go to page of official site GetContact: https://www.getcontact.com/en/unlist ;
- Log in;
- Scroll to the end of the page that opens and click Visibility settings;
- To prevent your data and tags from being available to other users, switch the slider to Off;
- Confirm the Action.
After performing these actions, your personal data will be hidden from search and your account will be deleted.
Why will I remove my number from GetContact app?
I will remove my number from GetContact app for several reasons.
Firstly, I value my privacy and do not want my personal information to be accessible to a third-party app without my consent. Secondly, I do not want to be contacted by strangers or unsolicited marketing calls, which are often the result of having my number listed on such apps. Lastly, I am concerned about the security of my personal data, as there have been instances of data breaches and leaks in the past.
For these reasons, I have decided to remove my number from the Getcontact app.
Is this the final solution?
Unfortunately, GetContact’s contact database is not exclusively used by this app. It is regularly scraped by other services that publish this information. For example, it’s easy to find a similar Telegram bot that has data from GetContact. This is @getcontact_real_bot (developed by @soarer_x) or similar. It offers 6 free attempts to identify a phone number and has a limitation of only three records in the response.
Such third-party services usually have their own independent contact database and do not synchronize it with the original app. Therefore, removing yourself from GetContact does not guarantee complete privacy.
Short video Guide from QMLS:
Delete GetContact Tags
- Open the GetContact app on your device.
- Tap on the “More” option usually located at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Show Profile” at the top of the screen.
- A list of tags assigned to your profile by other users will be displayed.
- Press and hold on the tag you want to delete and swipe it all the way to the left.
- Select the appropriate reason for deleting the tag.
- Tap on “Report” to remove the tag from your profile.